50 can be the new 30, the new 50, the new… whatever you want. We’re living, working and exploring longer than ever, and that’s a trend on the rise. Case in point: a baby born today has a 50% chance of living to 105. While Millennials drive the headlines, the 50+ demographic drives the US economy: contributing $8.3T in 2018. According to AARP, 50+ buyers represent the 3rd largest economy in the world, behind the US and China. Purchasing power aside, we’re here to celebrate the inner-knowing and self-determination that comes with accumulated years. In the words of Jane Fonda, if women “…go back and redefine ourselves and become whole, this will create a cultural shift in the world…” With that, we’re celebrating Women’s History Month with a selection of culture-shifters and trailblazers redefining 50+ in 2020:
- The Mavens — Meet the age 50+ Instagram fashion influencers making their mark on the social platform.
- The Funny Girls — Fran Drescher and a stellar cast of “mature women” bringing fresh perspectives to comedy in Funny Women of a Certain Age.
- The Headliners — Minnie Driver is fierce as ever, and we love to see it: “I think the idea of diminishment is what has changed… I suppose it must be terrifying to a lot of men if we actually burned brighter, hotter, more ambitious and emancipated from shame, the older we got.”
- Honorable Mention: Forbes 50 Over 50 List — The media giant is finally shining a light on female trailblazers & leaders. Nominate a 50+ woman today!
WHAT ELSE WE’RE READING
- Vagina, Vagina, VAGINA — One woman’s fight to own the V term. And why you should, too.
- Stress vs. Anxiety vs. Worry — Learn the difference and see how you can take ownership of your mental health.
- Perimenopause preparedness — Writer Ada Calhoun (an Elektra fave!) on how society and doctors failed to prepare her… and why they 100% should have.
Time’s interactive 100 Women of the Year gives us wings (and a serotonin burst). Who was WotY when you were born!?
More kid recommended than MD-recommended, but great for capturing brilliant inspiration – or just doodling – in the tub. Genius.
* We’re not paid to feature these products. We just like them and think you may like them too.
KEEP CALM AND ELEKTRA ON…
Welcome to the beginning of a whole new world & cultural shift. Now how will you redefine YOUR story? Send us an email (email@example.com) – we’d love to hear your story!
Updated: May 12, 2020